A stylish antique sterling silver mounted wine jug with a segmented crystal body. The smart, plain stylish features include a straight box spout and a geometric handle. Height 20 cms. Spread 12.3 cms. London 1901. Maker John Grinsell & Sons.
Biography – John Grinsell (worked from 1864). Originally Grinsell & Bourne, established 1864 and dissolved 1871, when John Grinsell formed a new business with his sons (Thomas Bywater Grinsell, James Erazmus Grinsell, Lorenzo Grinsell and Joseph Charles Grinsell). The firm was active at Victoria Works, 57 Tower Street, St. George’s, Birmingham. Show rooms were opened at 13 Charterhouse Street, Holborn Circus, London and 73 West Nile Street, Glasgow.
In circa 1905 the firm became John Grinsell & Sons Ltd, later purchased by Barker Ellis & Co Ltd. The trade mark “Cupid standing on a scroll” was registered in 1879. This firm specialised in silver mounted glass or stoneware items.