This magnificent silver-gilt and enamel lamp-form clock was produced in Vienna in about 1870. The clock sits on a lozenge-shaped base, which is enamelled with panels depicting reclining figures interspersed with panels decorated with gold-coloured foliate motifs. The body of the clock is connected to the base by a flared enamel stem. The body is of enamel and is painted throughout with angels and various other gold-coloured foliate motifs, all executed upon the blue ground of the base enamel.
The spout of the lamp-shaped body is mounted with a silver-gilt flame, while the handle features a silver-gilt mount in the form of a Classical female figure. The dial is enamelled and similarly decorated with a gold-on-blue scheme of foliate motifs. The dial features Roman numerals. The clock is marked throughout with ‘LP’, which designates Ludwig Politzer, an important Viennese maker of this period.