CHARLES MARCH GERE, RA, RWS
The Pitzeklamm Gorge, Austrian Tyrol
Signed and inscribed on a label on the backboard: 5. The Pitzthal, Tirol/C M Gere/Painswick, Glos
20 by 25 cm., 8 by 10 in.
(frame size 40.5 by 47 cm., 16 by 18 ½ in.)
Purchased in 1947 by Miss R Grenside.
Cheltenham Art Gallery, Charles March Gere Exhibition, 1947 (lent by the artist)
Gere was born in Gloucester and studied at the Birmingham School of Art under E R Taylor. He joined the staff of the art school in 1893. In the 1890s he worked as an illustrator, contributing to The Quest and books illustrated by the Birmingham Group and designing the frontispiece for William Morris’s News from Nowhere (Kelmscott Press, 1892). In his early career he was involved in a number of the arts and crafts, designing embroidery, metalwork and stained glass and painting the reredos in the Chapel at Madresfield. Gradually, however, he became almost exclusively a landscape painter. In about 1904 he and his sister Margaret settled in Painswick, near Stroud, and many of his subjects were found in the surrounding Cotswolds, which was to become his favourite painting ground. He exhibited at the New Gallery, Society of Painters in Tempera, Royal Academy, New English Art Club, Royal Watercolour Society and Art Workers Guild. A memorial exhibition was held in Gloucester in 1963.
The Pitzeklamm or Arzler Pitze Gorge of the Southern Austrian Tyrol is a deep ravine which carries the waters of the River Pitze from Arzl to the River Inn. Today the gorge is spanned by the Benni Raich bridge, the highest suspension footbridge of its type in Europe.