An boldly decorated 64 piece Cambridge Pattern part dinner service by Wood & Sons, circa 1865 in date.
The vibrant Cambridge pattern depicting both flowers and patterns, printed in underglaze ochre with hand painted cobalt edges, maroon, pink floral and finished in gold.
The pieces are signed with the brown printed “Cambridge Wood & Son” England “stamp underneath.
Wood & Sons
Earthenware manufacturer at the Trent, New Wharf Potteries and later the Stanley Pottery , Burslem.
4x platters four graduated
1 x large round platter
1x large soup tureen with lid,
1 x gravy boat with saucer
2x vegetable tureens with lids
12 x soup plates
11 x dinner plates
9 x side plates
12 x desert plates
In excellent condition commensurate for it’s age and use.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 3 x Width 41 x Depth 31 – Largest Piece
Dimensions in inches:
Height 1.2 x Width 16.1 x Depth 12.2 – Largest Piece
Manufacturer of earthenware at the Trent, New Wharf and Stanley Potteries, Burslem.
The Wood & Sons business was established in 1865 by Absalom Wood and his son T. F. Wood. The business traded first as Wood & Son, then as Wood & Sons (from c.1907) and was incorporated as Wood & Sons Ltd, in 1910. Mr Harry F. Wood succeeded his father, T. F. Wood, as chairman in 1921 and under his management Wood & Sons Ltd became a large and successful earthenware manufacturer. Associated companies included H. J. Wood Ltd (at the Alexandra Pottery, Burslem), Bursley Ltd (later renamed Susie Cooper Pottery Co. Ltd, at the Crown Pottery, Burslem) and the Ellgreave Pottery Co. Ltd (Ellgreave St, Burslem).
The business became a public company in 1954 under the style Wood & Sons (Holdings) Ltd, although Wood & Sons Ltd continued as the main operating company. The business went into receivership in December 1981 and was sold to members of the Yorke family (some of whom were Board members of the failed company). Under its new owners the business traded as Wood & Sons (1982) Ltd until its closure in 1995.
Wood & Sons Ltd and its subsidiaries produced a vast array of well designed, good quality earthenware for the middle market. The company produced mainly teaware, tableware, fancy earthenware and hotelware. Ivorine China, a semi-porcelain body, was produced in the 1930s and from the 1940s ‘Beryl Ware’—tableware in a green coloured body—was popular. Trade names included ‘Wood’s Ware’, ‘Bursley Ware’, ‘Woods Ware’ and ‘Ivorine China’.
Our reference: 08613