Very fine extending Regency mahogany antique dining table standing on slender turned and tapered legs, this table is very versatile, as well as telescopic mechanism which allows it to accommodate dinners at smaller than its maximum, the mechanism also unbolts so the table can be stored as two console tables against a wall. English circa 1820
This table came from Sugwas Court in Herefordshire, the contents of which were from several other houses and a castle and represents the collection of three families – the Morgans, the Bevans and Mumfords. The site of an episcopal palace, Sugwas Court was a property of the see of Hereford since before Doomsday. Sold by the Bishop in the late 18th century, the present red brick house of the 1790s was build over the original stone vaulted basement and parts of the chapel. A Norman arch is still visible at the rear of the house. Owned by the Jones and Ingham familes in the 19th and early 20th centuries, in 1929 it was leased by Captain Walter Mumford of the Welsh Guards and his young wife Sibell (nee Morgan) to bring up their twin daughters. It is the survivor of these twins who ordered the sale of this table in 2007. Since then the table has been in the ownership of a gentleman who collected Gillow furniture and who was convinced that this table was the work of that firm.