French Decorative Repeating Carriage Clock by Drocourt
French carriage clock housed in a decorative silvered and gilded shaped case, reeded pillars with gilded capitals, bevelled glasses throughout and surmounted by an ornate carrying handle with gilded, reeded centre.
Gilded dial with engine turned mask surround, Roman numerals and original ‘blued’ steel hands.
Hinged back door opening to an eight day French movement of fine quality with silvered lever escapement and repeat facility, striking the hours and halves on a coiled gong. The backplate marked for Drocourt. C.1880
Drocourt was one of the most famous makers of French carriage clocks, the firm founded in 1860 by the brothers Pierre and Alfred. They quickly established themselves at Rue Debelleyme, Paris as one of the leading carriage clock makers becoming known for their fine quality movements and casework. Clocks by this maker have become very sought after by collectors. The firm ceased trading just after the end of the first World War in 1920.