A very large size early English silver brandy saucepan with a pouring lip and a long ebonised wooden handle. Good patina. To the front there is a good hand engraved crest with a coronet. Contains 1500 ml. Weight 790 grams, 25.4 troy ounces. Height 12 cms, 17.5 to top of handle. Diameter of top 12 cms. London 1729. Maker George Wickes.
Biography – George Wickes, Royal Goldsmith (bapt Bury St Edmunds, 7 July 1698; d Thurston, Suffolk, 31 Aug 1761). In 1720 he gained the freedom of the Goldsmiths’ Company, London. He registered his first marks in 1721-2, giving his address as Threadneedle Street. In 1735 he was appointed goldsmith to Frederick, Prince of Wales and records show the numerous commissions he obtained from royalty, aristocracy and gentry such as the Pelham Gold Cup (1736; priv. col., see exh. cat., no. 5), designed by William Kent and made for Colonel James Pelham, Private Secretary to the Prince of Wales, one of Wickes’s most important works. Such features as castwork in Wickes’s pieces are of equal quality to that made by contemporary Huguenot goldsmiths, for example Paul de Lamerie; in fact, the attribution of a number of works to either Wickes or de Lamerie has been disputed. The ledgers of Wickes’s business indicate that he employed a number of subcontractors, the most important of whom was Edward Wakelin, who had virtually taken control of the manufacturing side of the firm by 1747. He supplied Wickes with tableware in the Rococo style, for example a set of silver-gilt vases (1753; Burghley House, Cambs) and an unusual pair of tureens with wave-patterned and ribbed bodies (1755; Al Tajir priv. col.; see exh. cat., no. 15). In 1750 Wickes took his former apprentice Samuel Netherton (1723-1803), and not Wakelin, into partnership. In 1760, however, on the retirement of both Wickes and Netherton, Wakelin and John Parker (who had been apprenticed to Wickes in 1751) took over the business.