A magnificent pair of antique silver plates with the excellent quality and weight you’d expect from the prestigious silversmith Paul Storr. Extra large size and plain design with traditional shaped gadroon borders. Hand engraved to the edge are two large, matching coat of arms with the motto “Viet Virtute”.
Total weight 2448 grams, 78.7 troy ounces.
Maker Paul Storr.
This large size is generally referred to as a second course dish. These plates are even larger and heavier gauge than usual.
Marks. Each is stamped to the underside with a full set of clear and matching English silver hallmarks and a registration mark number 794.
Motto. “Viet Virtute” which translates as “By Strength and Valour”. This motto and the left hand coat of arms are for Sir James Gardiner Baird, 6th Baronet of Saughtonhall in the County of Edinburgh.
Maker: Paul Storr
Paul Storr (28 October 1770 – 18 March 1844 ), was one of the most talented silversmiths of the late Georgian period. Today his legacy of exceptionally well crafted silver can be found worldwide in museums and private collections.
Son of Thomas Storr, a silver chaser, apprenticed 1785 to Andrew Fogelberg. First mark, as plateworker, in partnership with William Frisbee 1792. Second mark alone 1793. 3rd mark 1793. 4th mark 1794. 5th mark 1799. Subsequent 6th – 12th marks entered 1807-1834.
By the beginning of the nineteenth century, established as one of London’s top silversmiths, he was producing commissions for Royalty. In 1801 he married Elizabeth Susanna Beyer with whom he was to have ten children. In 1807 Paul Storr entered into a working relationship with Philip Rundell and by 1811 was a partner, and managing the workshops for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. During this period he kept his own marks and separate workshop, however Rundell, Bridge & Rundell were appointed Goldsmith in Ordinary to George III in 1804, and through them his reputation as a master silversmith grew.
His talents lay in being able to transform ideas and designs from Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s designers, William Theed II and later John Flaxman II. Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s reputation grew due to the subsequent patronage of the Prince Regent (later George IV). Storr left RUNDELL, BRIDGE & RUNDELL in 1819 and went into partnership with John Mortimer, the assistant of a retiring retail goldsmith and jeweller, WILLIAM GRAY, of 13 New Bond Street. The firm was renamed STORR & MORTIMER and Storr concentrated on the manufacture of goods for Mortimer to sell in the shop at 13 New Bond Street. Storr and Mortimer, now manufacturing and retail goldsmiths, jewellers and silversmiths with an influential clientele, moved to 156, New Bond Street, in 1838. Storr retired to Tooting in 1839 and died in 1844.
Free Shipping Worldwide