The ebony-veneered case has a so-called inverted bell top, a design which became popular in the early Georgian period (from 1715 onwards). The case is adorned with brass mouldings and rests on shaped brass block feet. It is surmounted by a brass carrying handle. There are silk-backed pierced ebony sound frets to the front and back doors, whilst the sides are glazed. The arched brass dial has a Roman silvered chapter ring, with two subsidiary rings in the arch, on the left-hand side a strike/silent ring to switch off the striking, and on the right rise-and-fall regulation. In the corners, there are pierced cast brass spandrels, whilst the matted centre has false pendulum and date apertures. The time is indicated by a pair of period pierced blued-steel hands on the black Roman chapter ring with Arabic five-minute and minute divisions. The spring-driven, eight-day, twin chain- fusee movement has a going train with verge escapement and short pendulum with knife-edge suspension. The rack striking train indicates the hours on a bell. In addition, it has a quarter pull repeat on six bells. The backplate is finely engraved and similarly signed as on the front within an engraved cartouche.
• Eight-day double chain fusee movement
• Verge escapement
• Pull quarter repeat on six bells
• Break arch dial with Roman silvered chapter ring
• Pierced cast brass spandrels
• Silk-backed pierced ebony sound frets to the front and back doors
• Glazed sides
• Strike and silent function
• Brass mouldings and shaped feet Provenance: Private collection, Oxfordshire Literature: Maker,
Thomas Hughes was a member of the Worshipful Clockmakers Company from 1712-1753, until the year of his death. His son of the same name (apprenticed 1734) was also a clockmaker, but it is highly likely that this clock was made by the father.