Georgian Longcase Clock By George Tupman, London
Georgian Longcase clock in a finely figured mahogany case with stepped base, raised moulding to the plinth, long break arch door with brass escutcheon and reeded canted corners to either side with brass Corinthian capitals. Break arch hood with reeded brass inset pillars supporting the dial surmounted by a centrally mounted, raised spire finial.
Impressive brass, silvered dial with gilded spandrels, strike / silent feature to the break arch, silvered centre with Roman numerals. Seconds dial below the XII and a calendar dial above the VI. Finely cut original ‘blued’ steel hands and signed ‘Geo. Tupman, Grov Sq, London’.
Eight day, five pillar movement of fine quality with anchor escapement, striking the hours on a large bell. Original brass covered weights and pendulum. C.1800
Britten’s ‘Old clocks and watches and their makers’ lists George Tupman as working at 6, Charles Street, Grosvenor Square. He moved to Old Bond Street c.1830 where he worked until c.1842
The inside of the door carries an old label with some notes on George Tupman and his family.