Georgian Longcase Clock by John Nevill, Norwich
Finely figured flame mahogany case with stepped base and scroll plinth standing on bracket feet. Long break arch trunk door with inset escutcheon and reeded, canted corners to either side. Break arch hood with typical East Anglian ‘whales tails’ pediment surmounted by a brass spire finial and reeded pillars with Corinthian capitals.
Impressive brass dial with finely matted centre, silvered chapter ring with Roman numerals, strike / silent feature to the arch and subsidiary seconds dial below the XII, calendar aperture above the VI and silvered cartouche signed ‘John Nevill, Norwich’.
Eight day movement of fine quality with five pillars and anchor escapement, striking the hours on a large centrally mounted bell. Original ‘blued’ steel hands, brass covered weights and pendulum. C.1780
‘Norfolk and Norwich Clocks and Clockmakers’ by Clifford and Yvonne Bird lists John Nevill as working from his shop in Magdelen Street, Norwich from c.1730 to 1790.
The Norwich mercury reported (4th April 1761) ‘robbed of a silver watch ‘Nevill, Norwich’ from his shop near The Bull in Magdelen Street’.
Clocks known by him include a mahogany bracket clock ( sold at Christies, London in 1923). A walnut bracket clock signed ‘J.Nevill’ ( sold at Christies 1938). A mahogany ‘Banjo’ or ‘Teardrop’ Tavern clock late 18c, signed John Nevill, Norwich.
His wife died in 1796 aged 66. John Nevill died in 1801 aged 73.