This nice quality armorial George II silver coffee pot was made in London in 1737 by Charles Martin and measures 7 inches tall by 7 inches handle to spout and is almost 4 inches in dia across the base. It has a very nice coat of arms to one side and the cast, curved spout has a plain drop above the pouring hole with a large acanthus leaf below and a wavy design around where the spout joins the pot, the scrolled wooden handle has a graduated drop below the terminal at the top of the handle and there is a double scroll at the base where it attaches to the body. The lid is domed and it has a bun shaped finial and it is fully and clearly hallmarked under the base and inside the lid with the lion passant. A very nice pot in very good condition weighing 16.8 ounces or 522 grams.
The Marital Arms of Powys and Lyster
The armorial bearings as engraved upon this George II English Sterling Silver Coffee Pot by Charles Martin hallmarked London 1737 are those of the family of Powys impaling Lyster. These armorial bearings denote the marshalling of a marital coat showing on the dexter (the heraldic right on the left as you view the piece) the arms of the husband and on the sinister (the heraldic left on the right as you view it) the arms of the wife. They may be blazoned as follows:
(on the dexter) Or a lion’s gamb erased in bend between two cross crosslets fitchy gules (for Powys)
(on the sinister) Ermine on a fess sable three mullets or (for Lyster)
These armorial bearings undoubtedly commemorate the marriage of John Powys (died June 1753), of Berwick House, near Shrewsbury in the County of Shropshire and Jane Lyster (died 13th March 1760). The date of the marriage of John and Jane is not known. John was the eldest son of Thomas Powys (who purchased Berwyke as it was then named) and his wife, Bridget Baldwyn (or Baldwin), the daughter and heiress of Francis Baldwyn, of Shrewsbury. Jane’s parents were Thomas Lyster, of Rowton Castle, near Wellington in the County of Shropshire and his wife, Elizabeth Beaw, the daughter of Dr William Beaw, Bishop of Llandaff. There is located in the chapel within the grounds of Berwick House, a funeral hatchment for Jane bearing the impaled marital arms of Powys and Lyster on a lozenge resting on a black background denoting her status as a John’s widow along with an armorial stained-glass window also displaying their impaled arms bearing the date 1744.