The French firm founded by André Romain Guilmet made a series of clocks with industrial and maritime themes between c.1875 and the 1910s. Many of his case designs celebrated the accomplishments of the industrial revolution.
This is the smaller and rarer of the two different models of automaton lighthouse clock that Guilmet produced, of a design used to mark the entrance to a harbour. The larger versions are often constructed to mark shoals and reefs.
The eight-day movement is regulated with a duplex escapement, the balance forming the oscillating lens that reflects light at the top. This glass encased lens is constructed with a number of red vertical bars which oscillate at speed, giving the effect of a flashing light.
The case is cast in brass, the brickwork silver-plated and the rings gold-plated. To the base of the light bars the walkway has an intricate filigree gallery fence. The bi-metallic case is very appealing, and the revolving ‘light lens’ is mesmeric.
The white enamelled dial measures approximately 1.5 inch and is in perfect condition, with Roman numerals and original steel hands.