A recent image of an original print of the London Rowing Club. The picture was produced by the club in the late 20th Century as a fund raising venture and is a photographic image of the original print which is mounted onto heavy paper. The picture shows three rowing boats on the Thames, a single scull, an eight-oar sweep and a twelve-oar sweep, and three other boatsl. The twelve-oar boat has a flag flying at the rear with the London Rowing Club initials, LRC.
The members of the London Rowing Club commissioned a painting around 1860’s depicting the first officers and other leading oarsmen. This was paid for by also commissioning a print of the painting at the same time and selling off the copies. The original painting was lost in WWII but as a 150th anniversary project in 2006 a replica painting was produced and now hangs in the clubhouse.
Image size: 24 ½ inches wide by 12 ¼ inches high.
The London Rowing Club (LRC) is one of the oldest rowing clubs on the River Thames and was founded in 1856 at the instigation of Herbert Playford, A Casamajor and Josias Nottidge. The club was formed to promote rowing on the Thames and to win Medals at Henley Royal Regatta. One of the most famous of former members is Graham Hill, the Formula One racing driver, who incorporated the club colours in his helmet design.