This superb early George III silver Warwick cruet was made in London in 1764 by Thomas Daniel and measures 9.5 inches tall by almost 7 inches at its widest. It contains 3 silver castors with r0pe beading, wrythen finials and beautifully pierced and engraved pull off tops, the largest measuring 7 inches tall and the other 2 5.5inches and there are 2 cut glass bottles for oil and vinegar and they measure 6.75 inches tall. There is a crest to the front cartouche of a squirrel sitting on a mound and the frame has 4 cast shell feet with scrolling arms above and two holes for the tops of the bottles. It is fully and clearly hallmarked under the frame and also under the bases of all 3 castors and to the pull off tops with the lion passant and the makers mark, it is also marked on the carrying handle with the makers mark and lion passant. It is in excellent condition and weighs 39.50 ounces or 1228 grams, a lovely addition to any dining table.
The Crest of Barrow, Baronets of Ulverstone, in the County of Lancashire
The crest as engraved upon this George III English Sterling Silver Warwick Cruet by John Delmester hallmarked London 1764 is that of the family of Barrow, Baronets of Ulverstone in the County of Lancashire.1 It may be blazoned as follows:
Crest: On a mount vert a squirrel sejant cracking a nut all proper charged on the shoulder with an anchor sable
Upon the balance of probability and without any evidence to the contrary was in the ownership of Sir John Barrow (born 19th June 1764 died 23rd November 1848), the 1st Baronet of Ulverston aforesaid. Sir John born in humble circumstances as the only son of Roger Barrow and his wife, Mary Dawson of Dragley Beck in the Parish of Ulverston and grandson of Roger Barrow, of Patterdale in the County of Westmorland. He made his way in the world and through hard work in various administrative roles in the colonies served for many years as the Second Secretary of the Admiralty2 (hence the use of the anchor charged upon the shoulder of the squirrel in his crest). John was also recognised as an author and traveller. He was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society on the 4th July 1805 and created a Baronet of the United Kingdom, styled as ‘of Ulverston’ on the 3th March 1835. Sir John married Anna Maria Truter (born 17th August 1777 died 15 December 1857) in South Africa on the 26th August 1799. Anna was the daughter of Petrus Johannes Truter, an official in
1 Although fairly polished out. 2 Later to be restyled as Permanent Secretary during his long tenure in the office.
the East India Company3 and wife, Johanna Ernestina Blankenberg. On John’s death, he was succeeded by his second son, George Barrow (born 22nd October 1806 died 27th February 1876) as the 2nd Baronet of Ulverston.
The cruet was probably acquired by Sir John sometime after he was granted armorial bearings by the Kings of Arms at The College of Arms in the year 1835