A partcularly fine pair of mid 19th C French bronze reductions of the famous pair of horses restrained by grooms, known as The Marly Horses by Guillaume Coustou the Elder and completed by Guillaume Coustou the Younger, the bronzes with excellent rich colour and fine hand finished detail, signed Coustou.
The original pair of large marble sculptures representing horses restrained by grooms were commissioned in 1739 for the horse pond in the gardens of the Château de Marly. In 1743, the king chose the models exhibited in the Louvre courtyard; the marble sculptures were installed at Marly in 1745. In 1749, they were moved to Paris on the initiative of the painter David, and placed on high pedestals at the bottom of the Champs-Elysées. These sculptures were so highly thought of by the people of Paris that they were spared destruction during the French revolution. They were moved inside the Louvre in 1894 to save them from the elements and replaced by copies on the Place de la Concorde.