This is a splendid pair of antique Victorian silver-plated Corinthian column table lamp now converted to electricity, late 19th Century in date, and beating the makers mark H E & CO for the renowned silversmith Hawksworth, Eyre & Co.
This opulent pair of antique table lamps feature Kingly Corinthian Capital sdecorated with classical ornate foliage in the form of splendid acanthus leaves above striking tapering and slender fluted shafts.
They stands on large and weighted stepped square base, which feature beaded decoration.
Add an element of Greek Classical style to your home with this exquisite pair of antique silver-plated table lamps.
In excellent working condition having been beautifully cleaned and rewired, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 41 x Width 16 x Depth 16
Dimensions in inches:
Height 16.1 x Width 6.3 x Depth 6.3
Hawksworth, Eyre & Co
was founded in 1833 by Charles Hawksworth and John Eyre as successors of Blagden, Hodgson & Co. The first mark was registred in 1862. They were manufacturers and silversmith of silver and silver plated objects.
The partnership was dissolved in 1869 and the business was continued by James Kebberling Bembridge, Thomas Hall and George Woofhouse. In the 1870s the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style Hawksworth, Eyre & Co Ltd. Further marks were registered in 1900 & 1912. The firm went into liquidation in the 1930s.
It has been suggested that the foliage of the Greek Corinthian capital was based on the Acanthus spinosus, that of the Roman on the Acanthus mollis. The leaves are generally carved in two “ranks” or bands, like one leafy cup set within another. One of the most beautiful Corinthian capitals is that from the Tholos of Epidaurus (400 BC); it illustrates the transition between the earlier Greek capital, as at Bassae, and the Roman version that Renaissance and modern architects inherited and refined.
In Roman architectural practice, capitals are briefly treated in their proper context among the detailing proper to each of the “Orders”, in the only complete architectural textbook to have survived from classical times, the Ten Books on Architecture, by Marcus Vitruvius Pollio, better known just as Vitruvius, dedicated to the emperor Augustus. The various orders are discussed in Vitruvius’ books iii and iv. Vitruvius describes Roman practice in a practical fashion. He gives some tales about the invention of each of the Orders, but he does not give a hard and fast set of canonical rules for the execution of capitals.
Two further, specifically Roman orders of architecture have their characteristic capitals, the sturdy and primitive Tuscan capitals, typically used in military buildings, similar to Greek Doric, but with fewer small moldings in its profile, and the invented Composite capitals not even mentioned by Vitruvius, which combined Ionic volutes and Corinthian acanthus capitals, in an order that was otherwise quite similar in proportions to the Corinthian, itself an order that Romans employed much more often than Greeks.
Our reference: A1357