A pair of George III J & W Cary’s 12 inch floor globes, 1800 These small globes are set in a mahogany stands with turned urn-shaped supports raised on three outsplayed legs with acorn feet, joined by stretchers centred on the original compass roses. The maker’s label on the terrestrial globe states ‘Cary’s New Terrestrial Globe delineated from the best Authorities extant; Exhibiting the different tracks of Captain Cook and the New Discoveries made by him and other Circumnavigators. London: made and sold by J & W Cary, Strand, Jan.y 1st 1800’ while the celestial is inscribed ‘Cary’s New Celestial Globe, on which are correctly laid down upwards of 3,500 Stars Selected from the most accurate observations and calculated for the Year 1800. With the extent of each Constellation precisely defined by Mr. Gilpin of the Royal Society.’
The celebrated Cary family of cartographers and globe makers produced some of the greatest late Georgian globes. The firm was started in London in the late 18th century by John Cary (c1754-1835), an engraver and dealer in maps who often worked in partnership with his brother, William Cary (c1760-1825), a scientific instrument maker. John Cary concentrated on geographical excellence rather than on decoration. In about 1820 the Cary brothers moved their business to 86 St. James’s Street, leaving the premises at 181 Strand to John Cary’s son George (c1788-1859) and John Jr. (1791- 1852) who traded as G. & J. Cary until about 1850.
Height: approximately 36 in (91.5cm) Diameter: 17in (43cm)