A pair of early 19th century Georgian glass rummers.
The glasses have bucket shaped bowls, a bladed knop stem and a plain foot with a ground pontil mark.
The rummers are engraved with a scene of the iron “Sunderland Bridge” which was opened in 1796 but engraved glasses were still being made into the 19th century.
The engraving is of fine quality with a sailing ship under the bridge and the words “Sunderland Bridge River Wear” engraved beneath.
The rear of the glass has a central panel with the initials ‘TJ T’ (we think) in the middle and surrounded with decorative engraving of hops and barley.
The glasses are in excellent condition.
Height 15cm (5.9 inches)
Rim Diameter 10cm (3.9 inches)
Foot Diameter 8.8cm (3.5 inches)