A Platt’s Hanging Boot and Shoe Rack made of oak with a brass serrated strip. The rack follows the MacDonald’s Patent and the premise is simple but very effective. Shoes or boots are hung vertically on the rack with the serrated brass edge gripping the front edge of the heel. In doing this, less space is taken up and there is less chance of anything hiding in your footwear when in the colonies. The rack is hinged to the middle to reduce in half when folded and to protect serrated brass strip from damage. These racks were also sold in walnut and mahogany and either 2 foot or 3 foot in length. The oval stamp to the rack notes Platt’s Boot & Shoe Rack, St. Martin’s Lane, London around the edge with MacDonald’s Patent running through the centre. James Platt & Co. were in business as woollen drapers by at least 1852 at 78 St. Martin’s Lane. As the business expanded, they took on premises at 28 & 29 Cranbourn Street by 1865 and by 1880 had moved into 77 St. Martin’s Lane. By 1912 there is no record of Platt in the trade directories for London. Platt manufactured several designs patented by others all centred on the efficient hanging or storage of clothing including Stone’s Patent Trouser Rack. Circa 1900.
Size open is given.