This very good quality provincial armorial George II silver lidded tankard was made in Newcastle in 1749 by Isaac Cookson and measures almost 8 inches tall by 6.5 inches from the handle across and is 4.25 inches in dia across the top and 4.5 inches across the stepped pedestal base. It has a girdle to the bottom third, a very nice coat of arms to the front and has a stepped and domed hinged lid with a cast and openwork thumb piece. The double scrolled handle has a drop decoration to the top and a cast shell terminal at the base. It is fully and clearly hallmarked under the base, with the lion passant on the lid and to the handle with the makers mark and is in very good condition weighing 25.90 ounces or 805 grams.
The Arms of the Family of Stansfeld
The armorial bearings as engraved upon this George II English Sterling Silver Lidded Tankard by Isaac Cookson hallmarked Newcastle 1749 are those of the family of Stansfeld. They may be blazoned as follows:
Arms: Vert three goats trippant argent1
Crest: A lion’s head erased or langued gules1
Given the date of manufacture of this tankard, the likelihood is that it was in the possession of George Stansfeld (baptised 22nd February 1725 died 25th February 1805), of Field House, Sowerby in the West Riding of Yorkshire. George was the son of George Stansfeld, of Field House aforesaid and his wife, Susan Lord. In would appear that the Stansfeld and Lord families must have had a connection of some kind be it cousinship of otherwise as George the supposed owner of this tankard married Mary Lord, the daughter of James Lord, of Todmorden in the County of Yorkshire on
1 Here it should be noted that tinctures of both the goats in the arms and the lion’s head in the crest are somewhat ambiguous all according to the authority examined. Also, the crest occasionally substituted as follows ‘A vine branch fructed issuing from a mount proper’.
the 20th April 1785. Notably George built the (new) Field House which was attached to the (old) Field House in 1749 which undoubtedly reflected the family’s wealth at the time.
The Stansfeld family descend from Roger de Stansfeld, of Stansfeld in the County of Yorkshire who was living in the 12th Century.
Upon George’s death in 1805 as he and Mary had no children during the course of their marriage owing probably to the fact he did not marry until much later in his life, he devised his property to his cousin, Robert Stansfeld, (born 7th November 1777 died 2nd August 1855), of Pond, Sowerby.