A good antique silver tea caddy box in the Queen Anne style. Britannia standard silver*. It has a sliding top and the cap comes off to be used as a tea measure. Excellent plain features. To the front is an engraved crest. Weight 202 grams, 6.4 troy ounces. Height 12 cms. Base 8.9 x 6.2 cms. London 1930. Maker Richard Comyns.
Biography – Richard Comyns. This prestigious firm of manufacturing silversmiths was originally established by William Comyns in circa 1859 when he purchased the business of Robert Tagg, an outworker of Rundell, Bridge & Co. William Comyns, silversmith, subsequently moved to 1 Percy Mews, Rathbone Place, then to 16 Silver Street, Golden Square, Soho, and to Beak Street, Regent Street. Additional premised were taken from circa 1903 at 54 Marshall Street, Soho. The firm became William Comyns & Son in circa 1885 when sons Charles and Richard were admitted to the partnership. William Comyns died in January 1916. The business became William Comyn & Sons Ltd in 1930, with R.H. Comyns as permanent governing director. In 1953 the company was purchased by Bernard Copping and is now one of the few surviving manufacturing silversmiths in London, with premises at Comyns House, Tower Street, London, WC2.