The Ever Ready electric clock was manufactured by the Ever Ready Specialities Company to a design by Herbert Scott patented in 1902. The clock was produced in at least three versions from about 1904 to 1912. This type of early electric clock is very rare – Alan & Rita Shenton’s book “Collectable Clocks” tells us that production stopped in 1912 after about 500 clocks being made.
The movement has a variation of the Hipp toggle escapement. (The details are defined in Herbert Scott’s patent, shown too the right.) The failing swing of the pendulum is utilised to close the electrical circuit. As detailed in the Hope Jones Electric Clocks book, a click rides free of the electrical contact, but when the arc of the pendulum reduces, it engages in a shelf cut in the top of each tooth. It consequently rides at a higher level than normal. It then makes contact with a component above closing the circuit, energising the coils and impulsing the pendulum.
Unusually the motion of the pendulum travels back and forth (as opposed to sideways which is more normal). You can see the physical acceleration of the pendulum as the impulse occurs.
The motionwork is driven by 2 x standard batteries, with the holder connected by wire to the back of the base.
The perfect 5″ white enamel Arabic dial sits within a nickel-plated bezel raised on four nickel-plated pillars. It is enclosed in a later glass box with mirrored back panel to replicate the original, all mounted on the original base. The base has three screw adjustable brass feet for levelling.
Originally the clock had a mahogany top matching the base, with glass panels to the three sides and the mirrored back. The upper case was missing when it came to us, but we believe the glass top to be an aesthetic improvement as it allows the movement to be seen from all angles. Of course, an appropriate wooden top can be supplied to fit over this glass box, which will more closely resemble the original – whichever you prefer.
Overhauled and guaranteed for 3 years.
Herbert Scott was from Bradford, Yorkshire, England, but registered his patent in the US, number 770322.