An early pair of Doulton & Co. antique window planters, made in the mid to late 1800s. Each stamped with ‘Doulton Lambeth’, stonewares of this design were included in the Doulton & Co. catalogue of 1893 (pictured) as a Mignonette Box, suggesting that they were once used for planting flowers or herbs. It is extremely rare to find a pair and rarer still for each to be in such good condition after more than 150 years. Extremely decorative, these trough planters provide a glimpse into styles gone by, made from buff terracotta and decorated with floral embellishments and arched feet detailed with pendants. Thanks to their strength and durability, they can still be used as trough planters in the modern day, used to frame the windows of a country garden or townhouse.
Doulton & Co. have been pioneers of the pottery and ceramics world for more than 200 years. Better known today as ‘Royal Doulton’, the company was established in 1815 in Lambeth, London. The third quarter of the 19thcentury saw an increased demand for architectural and sculptural terracotta. Doulton & Co. were amongst others in designing a huge range of unglazed terracotta and garden ornaments, including these 19thcentury window planters.
Dimensions stated are for each planter.
Image source: ‘A page from Doulton & Co’s catalogue Terra Cotta Garden Vases, Pedestals, Flower Pots, and Every Other Description of Horticultural Terra Cotta’ 1893 from Antique Garden Ornaments by John Davis.