Regency Bracket clock by John Payne, London.
This fine clock was made by John Payne, who is recorded in Baillie’s ‘Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World’ as working in St Ann’s Lane, London from 1795 to 1825. The steeple top case is made from well figured Rosewood with brass inlay decoration, Lion mask and ring handles to the sides. A finely carved back door acts as a sound fret as do the brass silk frets to the side of the case.
The movement is twin-fusee and is of eight day duration set between two large brass plates, it is quarter chiming on a nest of eight bells and strikes the hours on a separate large bell. The backplate is engraved around it’s border whilst the makers name is also engraved thereon.
A fine chiming Bracket clock c.1815