Royal St. George’s after Cecil Aldin.
A mounted and framed golf photolithograph of Royal St. George’s, Sandwich, “The Maiden” green after C. Aldin. Signed in pencil by the artist. Printed and published by Eyre & Spottiswoode, Ltd., His Majesty’s printers. 4 Middle New Street, London, E.C.4.
Aldin produced few golfing works and this example is one of a series of six golf course views “Six Famous Golf Courses” published in the 1920’s.
Aldin’s 6 golf courses were:
Sunningdale, North Berwick, Westward Ho, Royal St. George’s, Walton Heath and St. Andrews.
Cecil Aldin (1870 – 1935) was a prolific painter, not only did he paint the golfing scenes he also painted sensitive depictions of his dogs and scenes of hunting and racing. Aldin was the Master of the South Berkshire Hunt and was elected a member of the Royal Society of British Artists in 1898.