Set of Eight Golden Oak Arts & Crafts Dining Chairs Retaining the Original Label

GBP 6,250.00

Contact Dealer To Purchase

Object Description

From the furnishers of the Royal Yacht, Cunard liners and top London hotels an extremely elegant set of eight high back dining chairs from the Arts & Crafts period. Made of golden oak the uprights terminating in a heart motif, the backs with three elongated lobed splats over drop in seats, on splay legs to the back and tapering square section front legs terminating in pad feet.
Each chair retaining the label of Hampton & Sons, Pall Mall East, London.

Object History

In 1830 William Hampton opened a shop for the sale of general household furniture in Cranbourn Street. He was subsequently joined by his two sons George and William Powell (the sons of George Hampton; Harold, Fred and Clarence also later entered the business). In 1869 the business expanded with new premises on the corner site comprising 8 Pall Mall East and 1-3 Dorset Place (now Whitcomb Street). Throughout its history the firm suffered a number of serious fires, the first of which occurred in 1890. As the firm continued to expand it took over control of a number of other firms, beginning with James Coulson and Co of Lisburn, Northern Ireland in 1898, and in the early 1950s Goodall, Lamb and Highway of King Street, Manchester and Robson and Sons Ltd of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Object Literature

In 1926 the firm opened a factory at Ingate Place, Battersea close to the firm’s existing depository. Amongst the firm’s noteable contracts were the Royal Yacht Britannia, the liners the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Theatre Royal Drury Lane, the Duke of York Theatre, the Dorchester and the Mayfair Hotels and the palaces of two Indian princes, the Nizam of Hyderabad and the Maharajah of Kashmir. On the night of 16th November 1940 an incendiary bomb hit the Pall Mall premises and the greater part of the building was destroyed. Temporary one-storeyed buildings were erected on the site but these were eventually demolished in 1957 following the sale of the site to the Canadian Government. In October 1940 the firm had acquired a controlling interest in the firm of Storey & Co Ltd of Kensington High Street and it was there that the firm established its new headquarters.

Object Condition

The seats require recovering which we can do in our own workshops with the clients’ choice of fabric.

Object Details

Dealer Opening Times

By appointment only.

Dealer Contact

Telephone
+44 (0)1442 823 030
Mobile
+44 (0)7831 888825
Web
Email

Dealer Location

Tring
Hertfordshire