A set of 29 Bartholomew’s Maps of Scotland in a pigskin leather case with good fishtail handle. The maps are 2 miles to an inch scale, have green covers and are backed on linen. To the side of the maps is The “Contour” Road Book of Scotland by Gall & Inglis with a Sifton, Praed label to the inside front. To the inside of the case lid is a mileomoter. These maps were produced specifically for retail by Sifton, Praed and are printed Sifton, Praed and Co. Ltd, The Map House, 67. St. James Street, London. S.W. to the front cover. Their details are also to the back cover noting that they are Mapsellers, Geographical and Military Booksellers and Stationers. The top of the case is stamped with the owner’s initials of H.S. The maps can be dated to after 1911 when the Cyclist’s Touring Club logo appeared to the bottom corner and before 1921 when roads were numbered. Added to this Sifton, Praed received a Royal Warrant in 1920 which is not noted on the maps. Only half of the CTC logo is visible as the maps have all been purposely cut tight to the scale rule on the bottom edge. This looks to have been done at time of manufacture. Sets of motorist’s maps of Scotland from this period are much harder to find than those for England and Wales. Circa 1920.
Case size is given.