A set of silver, steel and mother of pearl, slotted, folding Travel Cutlery.
The cutlery works to J. Clarkson’s patent and is stamped as such to the interior plate of the fork handle. This plate to the fork has two pear shaped apertures to receive two mushroom shaped pins to the interior plate of the knife. When the fork is closed, the knife is locked to it. With the fork opened to a 90-degree angle, the knife can slide along to the widest parts of the apertures and be released.
The knife and fork can be used separately or as just a knife or a fork when joined. A number of sets of folding, silver cutlery were made by the Victorians, typically for use with fruit. The purity of the silver not effecting the taste. However, most were made as individual pieces of cutlery rather than slotted together.
The cutlery is hallmarked to both the knife blade and the fork. The knife is also stamped with the maker’s details. The hallmark to this set is for Sheffield, 1894 and the maker John Round and Son Ltd.
The size given is for the cutlery folded and as one piece.