This super quality crested & armorial very early George III silver coffee pot was made in London in 1761 by Daniel Smith and Richard Sharpe and measures 10.25 inches tall by 7.25 inches handle to spout and is 4 inches in dia across the base. It is beautifully embossed with flowers and foliage, scrolls and shells and has a cast spout with scrolls and acanthus leaves, the lid is decorated to match and the finial is a pineapple. It has a coat of arms to one side and a crest to the other and a scrolled fruit wood handle that has a scrolling terminal at the base and a shell at the top and it is fully and clearly hallmarked to the side and underneath with the makers mark and to the lid rim with the makers mark and lion passant. A very attractive pot in super condition with sharp decoration.
The Marital Arms of Hodgson and Ord
The armorial bearings as engraved upon this George III English Sterling Silver Coffee Pot by Daniel Smith and Richard Sharpe hallmarked London 1761 are those of the family of Hodgson impaling Ord. These armorial bearings denote the marshalling of a marital coat showing on the dexter (the heraldic right on the left as you view the piece) the arms of the husband and on the sinister (the heraldic left on the right as you view it) the arms of the wife. They may be blazoned as follows:
(on the dexter) Per chevron embattled or and azure three martlets counterchanged (for Hodgson)
(on the sinister) Sable three salmon haurient two and one argent (for Ord)
Crest: A dove with an olive branch in its beak proper (for Hodgson)
These armorial bearings undoubtedly commemorate the marriage of William Hodgson (born 22nd October 1784 died 16th February 1870), of Bishop Auckland in the County of Durham and Elizabeth Ord (born 15th July 1787 baptised 23rd July 1787 died 2nd April 1849). Although not a great deal is known about William’s antecedants, we know that Elizabeth was the daughter of Ralph Ord, of Sands Hall, near Sedgefield in the County of Durham. William and Elizabeth were married by Licence on the 1st May 1817 at the Parish Church of St Edmund the Bishop, Sedgefield.
Although this coffee pot predates William and Elizabeth’s marriage by some fifty-six years it was either a Hodgson or Ord family piece or was purchased by the couple after their marriage and they thereafter caused their marital arms to be engraved upon same. The coffee pot may have been at one time part of a larger suite of silver.