This excellent quality pair of armorial and crested George III silver sauce or gravy boats were made in London in 1814 by William Bennett and measure 8 3/8 inches handle to spout by almost 4.75 inches wide and stand 5 inches to the thumb piece. The cast, double scrolled handles have acanthus leaf thumb pieces, the top border is gadrooned and the three cast legs have shell terminal where they attach the the body and stepped feet. They have a large coat of arms to one side with the motto INDIGNANTE INVIDIA FLOREBIT JUSTUS in a banner below and to the other they have a crest of a serpent between 3 swords. They are fully and clearly hallmarked underneath and are in excellent condition weighing 37 ounces or 1155 grams.
The Arms of the Family of Crosbie
The armorial bearings as engraved upon this Pair of George III English Sterling Silver Sauce or Gravy Boats by William Bennett hallmarked London 1814 are those of the family of Crosbie. They may be blazoned as follows:
Arms: Argent a lion rampant sable armed and langued gules in chief two dexter hands couped and erect of the last
Crest: Three swords two in saltire and one in pale points downwards all entwined with a snake all proper1
Motto: Indignante invidia florebit justus [The just man will flourish in spite of envy]
The arms as found engraved upon the pair of sauce or gravy boats were borne by several branches of the Crosbie family, notably those members of the family who seated at Maryborough in Queen’s County, Ballyheigue and Ardfert Abbey in the County of Kerry. One member of the Ardfert Abbey branch of the family, Sir Maurice Crosbie was created a peer as Baron Brandon, of Brandon in the County of Kerry in the Peerage of Ireland on the 6th September 1758; whilst his son, William Crosbie who succeeded as the 2nd Baron Brandon was advanced within the Peerage of Ireland as Viscount Crosbie, of Ardfert in the County of Kerry on the 30th November 1771 and he was subsequently further advanced as Earl of Glandore on the
1 Most printed authorities blazon this slightly differently, viz: ‘Three swords two in saltire points down and one in pale point upwards entwined with a snake all proper’. Yet another version of this crest reverses the swords as just blazoned.
22nd July 1776. Both the Earldom of Glandore and the Viscountcy of Crosbie fell into extinction upon the death of John Crosbie, the 2nd Earl of Glandore on the 20th April 1815, whilst the Barony of Brandon was inherited by a cousin upon whose death it fell into extinction for the want of a further male heir.
This family held the office of Chief Bard to the O’Mores, Chiefs of Leix for several generations and by degrees acquired offices and lands from the Crown. Undoubtedly these sauce or gravy boats were in the possession of a gentleman of one of the many branches of this family. Given their date of manufacture, one leading candidate, although this is not at all conclusive, could possibly be Sir William Edward Crosbie (born 18th May 1794 died 3rd October 1860), the 6th Baronet of Maryborough in Queen’s County.2 Sir William married his first cousin, Dorothea Alicia Walsh (died 11th February 1880). She was the daughter of John Walsh, of Dublin and his wife, Henrietta Crosbie, the youngest daughter of Sir Paul Crosbie, the 4th Baronet of Maryborough.