Tortoiseshell Bracket Clock by Payne & Co, London
Bell top tortoiseshell bracket clock with finely cut boulle work surmounted by a gilded cherub holding a bird with caryatid mounts to the corners standing on a raised plinth and resting on gilded scroll feet.
Silvered dial with Roman numerals signed Payne & Co, 163 New Bond Street, London with subsidiary dial at XII o’clock for strike/silent and original finely pierced and gilded hands. Rosewood rear door with carved sound fret.
Eight day chain fusee movement with substantial brass plates striking the hours and halves on a large coiled gong. C.1870
William Payne is first recorded at 62, South Moulton Street, London in 1816. By 1825 he had moved to 163, New Bond Street where the company remained until the early 1920’s.