A beautiful Victorian diamond tiara necklace c. 1890s made in silver backed with gold and designed as a graduated fringe of diamond-set knife-edge bars with stylised fleur-de-lys motifs topped with a single diamond, every alternate one is embellished with scrolling foliate flourishes and the whole is set above a knife edge row set with single diamonds, when detached, this forms the back of the necklace. The fringe tiara is a classic of the Victorian period and this is a lovely, decorative example with its curling additions, and light open feel. Its convertible nature makes it a versatile and useful jewel, it is comfortable to wear as it is relatively light and as a necklace it sits around the base of the throat in a flattering tapered bib-style. It comes in its original fitted leather box, lined with blue velvet and cream silk embossed with the name of the Royal Warrant holding jewellers Carrington and Co. and with a little note attached inside which reads “To Mildred Dorothy Flinton on her marriage Oct 5 1910 from her Father + Mother.”
Carrington and Co.
Victorian, circa 1890
Old cut diamonds estimated to weigh a combined total of approximately 7.5cts
Silver and gold
Tiara 6.4cm / 2.5″ tall at centre front tapering to 2.5cm / 1″ at either side
Necklace 39cm / 15.5″ long, central drop 5cm / 2″ long
Mildred Dorothy Flint (known as Dorothy) was born on 21 September 1886, the daughter of Brigadier-General Edward Montague Flint and Mildred Salome Kekewich. On the 5th October 1910 she married Sir Henry Bouhier Imbert-Terry and was given this tiara by her parents to wear on the day.
The firm of Carrington was named after its founder John Bodman Carrington who established his manufacturing business at 130 Regent Street. By the early 1890s Carrington were advertising themselves as jewellers, diamond merchants, dealers in precious stones and manufacturing silversmiths. They were awarded the Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria and would go on to gain the warrants of Prince Albert, Edward VII and George V, as well as Nicholas I and II and Queen Alexandra of Russia. In 1893 they created the beautiful Dorset bow brooch for Queen Mary and in 1911 they set the famous Cullinan diamonds numbers III and IV into a brooch/ pendant for her, a jewel famously owned by our late Queen who affectionately referred to them as ‘Granny’s chips’.