Victorian Period Cut Glass and Parcel Gilt Chandelier by F & C Osler
English, c. 1870
Dimensions: Height 310cm, diameter 198cm
This magnificent chandelier is exquisitely crafted from hand-cut and parcel gilt glass, designed by 19th century glassware firm F & C Osler. Founded in 1807, the firm were celebrated for producing high quality luxury glassware. Their spectacular chandeliers were extremely popular with royalty and aristocrats throughout Europe and India. The present chandelier is a fine example of their prestigious work.
Measuring over three metres in height, the chandelier is formed from an upper cut glass baluster from which the lights hang, which is decorated with scrolls and elegant hanging droplets. Below, there is a central bevelled glass stem, around which are strings of beaded cut glass that connect to the basket.
The basket of the chandelier supports four tiers of sixty-four lights in total, which are all crafted from transparent glass. These lamps are shaped almost like fluted drinkware, featuring flared rims decorated with gilt banding and delicate foliate detailing. Each tier of lights are attached to the basket with scrolling arms, from which hang further cut glass droplets, with tapered tiers on the basket itself. At the very bottom there is a glass globe.