Victorian Silver Goblet

GBP 395.00

Contact Dealer To Purchase

Object Description

A good quality antique silver drinking cup with a bead border foot. Nice dainty size. Decorated with delicate flower tendrils, leaf engraving to the body, and the crest of a swan to the front. Original gilt interior.

Contains 170 ml.
Weight 114 grams, 3.6 troy oz.
Height 13.7cm. Diameter of top 6.9cm.
London 1873.
Maker Frederick Elkington.
Sterling silver.
19th century

Makes a matching pair with #10219 Victorian Silver Goblet

Marks. Stamped below the rim with a full set of English silver hallmarks.

Maker: Elkington

George Richards Elkington, born in Birmingham, apprenticed to his uncles Josiah and George Richard’s silversmithing business in 1815 and on his father’s death c.1824 inherited his father’s spectacle manufactory. Until 1840 he continued in partnership with his uncles as Richards and Elkington, silversmithing and gilt-toy manufacturers, of Holborn, London, and St Paul’s Square, Birmingham. Elkington had other concurrent partnerships: one with Joseph Taylor, a Birmingham gilt-toy maker, dissolved in 1839; another with his cousin Henry Elkington which began c.1836 and eventually became the firm of Elkington & Co.

After George Elkington entered into partnership with his cousin Henry, the two men began experimenting with new ways of gilding base metals taking out patents for the application of electricity to metals. When, in 1840, John Wright, a Birmingham surgeon, discovered the valuable properties of a solution of cyanide of silver in potassium cyonide for electroplating purposes, the Elkingtons purchased and patented Wright’s process (British Patent 8447 : Improvements in Coating, Covering, or Plating certain Metals), subsequently acquiring the rights of other processes and improvements. In 1843 Elkingtons acquired the rights to Werner von Siemens’s first invention, an improvement to the gold and silver plating process.

The Elkingtons opened a new electroplating works in Newhall St, in the Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham in 1841, and the following year Josiah Mason, a pen manufacturer, joined the firm now named Elkington, Mason & Co. Mason encouraged the Elkingtons to add more affordable electroplated jewellery and cutlery to the large pieces the company had been producing. The agreement between Elkington and Mason was dissolved in 1861, after which the company traded as Elkington and Co. By the mid-1860s Elkington’s employed nearly a thousand workers and was firmly established as the leading silver- and electroplate company in the world.

George Elkington died in 1865. The business was continued by his sons, Frederick (d. 1905), James Balleny (d. 1907), Alfred John (d. 1910), Howard (d. 1899), and Hyla (d. 1901).

Free Shipping Worldwide

Object Condition

The cup is in very good condition. Uninscribed. Crisp engraving.

Object Details

Dealer Opening Times

By appointment only.

Dealer Contact

Telephone
+44 (0)207 288 1939
Mobile
+44 (0)7904 297419
Web
Email

Dealer Location

Vault 31-32
The London Silver Vaults
53-64 Chancery Lane
London WC2A 1QS

View Map