A stylish 1930’s silver plated tray with plain style and curved ends. Very useful size. Length 45 cms. Width 13 cms. Circa 1900. Maker Walker & Hall.
Biography – Walker & Hall. This business was started in 1845 by George Walker when he secured the royalty for electroplating at Sheffield. The business was joined by Henry Hall and became Walker & Hall in 1853. The factory was at Howard Street, Sheffield and showrooms were at 45 Holborn Viaduct, London. Branches were later opened throughout Great Britain and worldwide. Walker & Hall was converted into a limited liability company Walker & Hall Ltd in 1920 and combined in 1963 under the British Silverware Ltd with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. Walker and Hall Sheffield were primarily Sheffield Makers, but items with Birmingham, London and Chester Assay Marks can also be found. CHRONOLOGY: Walker & Co, 1845-1848 Walker, Coulson & Hall, 1848-1853 Walker & Hall 1853-1920 Walker & Hall Ltd, 1920-the present part of British Silverware Ltd, 1963-1971 a subsidiary of Mappin & Webb Ltd, a member of Sears Holdings Ltd since 1971