Walnut Bell Top Mantel Clock, Asprey, London
Finely figured walnut bell top case surmounted by a decorative brass carrying handle and resting on a stepped moulded plinth, the back door with decorative blue silk lined fretwork.
Full front door opening to the brass dial with gilded corner spandrels, finely matted centre and original ‘blued’ steel hands. Raised silvered chapter ring with Roman numerals signed Asprey, London.
Eight day timepiece movement with platform escapement by Astral, Coventry. C.1930
In 1871 the firm of H.Williamson Ltd was founded by Henry Williamson in Coventry with offices and showrooms at 81, Farrington Road. By 1903 Williamson had factories in Coventry, Salisbury and Buren (Switzerland). In 1928 the firm began producing clocks under the name of ‘Astral’ with a clock key as the logo. In the mid 1930’s mainly due to the world wide depression the company was forced into liquidation and became a part of the English clock and watch manufacturers which in turn later on was taken over by Smiths English Clocks. Astral clocks were produced up until 1955.