This beautifully crafted and decorated porcelain huqqa (or hookah) base is of Continental, possibly Russian origin. It was created in the late 19th Century for the Persian market.
The huqqa base features a bell-shaped body and a waisted neck with a ribbed and slightly flared top. The huqqa is painted a deep blue colour and its top, neck, body and base are encircled by parcel gilt white bands. The huqqa’s blue top is finely decorated with paintings of flowers, as is its upper body, with the addition of butterflies and birds. The shaped white band which rings the huqqa’s body is painted with colourful flowers and half-length portraits of Qajar kings in gilt medallions. These depict Naser al-Din Shah (reigned 1848-1896) and Mozaffar al-Din Shah (reigned 1896-1907).