A good original example of a small South Western Railway clock numbered 5548, dating from 1885.
The 8-inch 24 hour dial is signed for the makers, John Walker, South Molton Street, London, and has a cast brass bezel.
The mahogany case has a one piece turned surround held onto the back box by two tapered pegs, the back box has one side door and a bottom door secured by a brass lock. The back box is stamped 5548 SW.
It was supplied to the LSWR in 1885 by John Walker of London at a cost of £3-3-0d. It was later resigned for British Rail (Southern), – as was common with these 24 hour dials, the R of B.R. (S) was omitted, as space did not allow for it.
The quality English chain driven fusee movement is to be fully overhauled. It has large rectangular plates held together by cylindrical pillars.