Extremely Fine Marquetry Satinwood Demi Lune Console Table by Hampton & Sons of Pall Mall London.
An extremely fine marquetry inlaid satinwood console table of Neoclassical design stamped “Hampton & Sons of Pall Mall East 737” circa 1890
Constructed of a fine well figured West Indian satinwood with Neoclassical inlay, reminiscent of Robert Adams work, the demi – lune shaped top crossbanded in goncalo alves with boxwood stringing having a central Grecian Urn with swags and garlands of the highest standard. The border frieze is intricately inlaid with central pendant and swags and garlands housing a single drawer to the middle retaining its original brass knob and stamped to the inside by the famous London cabinet makers “Hampton & Sons of Pall Mall East 737”.
Supported by four finely tapered legs inlaid with bellflower husks united by a lower tier crossbanded and inlaid with a central patrea and foliate design.
The whole being raised on brass ball feet and in excellent condition having been finely restored using traditional methods with an excellent colour and patina.
Of the finest quality this superb console table is very rare to find especially in such wonderful condition.
The famous Hampton and Sons started in 1830 when William Hampton opened a shop for the sale of general household furniture in Cranbourn Street. He was subsequently joined by his two sons George and William Powell (the sons of George Hampton; Harold, Fred and Clarence also later entered the business). In 1869 the business expanded with new premises on the corner site comprising 8 Pall Mall East and 1-3 Dorset Place (now Whitcomb Street). Throughout its history the firm suffered a number of serious fires, the first of which occurred in 1890. As the firm continued to expand it took over control of a number of other firms, beginning with James Coulson and Co of Lisburn, Northern Ireland in 1898, and in the early 1950’s Goodall, Lamb and Highway of King Street, Manchester and Robson and Sons Ltd of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
In 1926 the firm opened a factory at Ingate Place, Battersea close to the firm’s existing depository. Amongst the firm’s noteable contracts were the Royal Yacht Britannia, the liners the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Theatre Royal Drury Lane, the Duke of York Theatre, the Dorchester and the Mayfair Hotels and the palaces of two Indian princes, the Nizam of Hyderabad and the Maharajah of Kashmir. On the night of 16th November 1940 an incendiary bomb hit the Pall Mall premises and the greater part of the building was destroyed. Temporary one-storeyed buildings were erected on the site but these were eventually demolished in 1957 following the sale of the site to the Canadian Government. In October 1940 the firm had acquired a controlling interest in the firm of Storey & Co Ltd of Kensington High Street and it was there that the firm established its new headquarters.
Width: 24 3/4 inches – 63cm
Height: 29 3/4 inches – 75.5cm
Depth: 12 1/2 inches – 32cm