A large and imposing Regency nautical chair made for the Alliance assurance company, the rectangular leather covered back, padded arms and seat surmounted by a cresting rail with a shaped central panel carved with a three masted ship in full sail flying a flag incised ‘Alliance’, all within a rope twist border and flanked by two openwork tridents, the frame and scroll-arms deeply gadrooned, the front legs carved as cannons. English, circa 1820.
Height: 53in (134.5cm)
Seat 27in (68.5cm) square. Seat height: 21in (53.5cm)
Footnote: It is probable that this chair was made for the boardroom of the Alliance Maritime Assurance Company, founded in 1824 by the Rothschilds. Other chairs of a similar sort are known to have been made as presidents’ chairs for banking halls etc.