A large elm tiller with a bronze helm and turned finial from the Brixham fishing trawler ‘Provident’, 1924
Builder: J Sanders, Galmpton, Devon
Fishing Reg. No.: BM28
Provident was built in 1924 by J Sanders, one of the last sailing trawlers to be commissioned. Sister ship to ‘Golden Vanity’ and Leader;, she was sold in the 1930’s to be used as a private yacht until the early 1950’s when she was acquired by the Island cruising Club of Salcombe and used as a training vessel and clubhouse. The tiller was taken off during conversion works to wheel steering during this period.