A pair of George III 21 inch globes by J&W Cary, dated 1815 and 1800, set in mahogany stands with turned urn-shaped supports raised on three outsplayed legs with original castors feet, joined by stretchers centred on the original compass roses, decoratedwith ebony lozenges and stringing. The maker’s label on the terrestrial globe states ‘Cary’s New Terrestrial Globe exhibiting Exhibiting the tracks of Captain Cook and those of Captain Vancouver, etc…London: made and sold by J & W Cary, Strand, March, 1815’ while the celestial is inscribed ‘Cary’s New and Improved Celestial Globe, on which is carefully laid down the whole of the stars and nebulae contained in the astronomical catalogue of the Revd Mr Wollaston, etc. The whole adapted to the year 1800.’
Height approximately 47 ½ in Diameter 27in
Footnote: The celebrated Cary family of cartographers and globe makers produced some of the greatest late Georgian globes. The firm was started in London in the late 18th century by John Cary (c1754-1835), an engraver and dealer in maps who often worked in partnership with his brother, William Cary (c1760-1825), a scientific instrument maker. John Cary concentrated on geographical excellence rather than on decoration. In about 1820 the Cary brothers moved their business to 86 St. James’s Street, leaving the premises at 181 Strand to John Cary’s son George (c1788-1859) and John Jr. (1791-1852) who traded as G. & J. Cary until about 1850.