A Pair of George IV Card Tables
Attributed to Morel & Seddon
Constructed from satinwood and with parcel gilding throughout, the card tables supported on scrolled feet with hidden casters, a central columnar stem rising from the quadrilateral plinth and flanked by four further gilded and carved supports of c-scrolls, acanthus leaves, and anthemions; above, the rectangular folding tops with canted corners and carved floral moulding to the edges, revealing a velvet-lined playing surface and concealing a compartment underneath of conforming finish; its frieze parcel gilded and with scrolling terminals.
English, Circa 1830
The distinctive combination of fine wood veneering in concert with parcel gilding was famously popularised by Morel & Seddon when they furnished Windsor Castle for King George IV between 1827-1829 at immense cost.
The use of satinwood in this instance is noteworthy, as Morel & Seddon often supplied furniture made of Mahogany, Rosewood, or English Oak. The royal collection records only one other table of satinwood by Morel & Seddon, its inlaid anthemion border echoing the supports of the pair of card tables.