A pair of mahogany Regency 21-inch globes by J&W Cary dated 1799 and 1819, the celestial globe with cartouche reading “CARY’S New and Improved CELESTIAL GLOBE ON WHICH is carefully laid down the whole of the STARS AND NEBULAE Contained in the ASTRONOMICAL CATALOGUE of the Revd. MR WOLLASTON F.R.S. Compiled from the Authorities of FLAMSTEED, DE LA CAILLE, HEVELIUS, MAYER, BRADLEY, HERSCHEL, MASKELYNE &c. With an extensive number from the Works of Miss Herschel, The whole adapted to the Year 1800, and the Limits of each Constellation determined by a Boundary line. LONDON: Made & Sold by J & W Cary, No.181 Strand, Mar 1 1799“, the terrestrial globe with a cartouche reading “CARY’S NEW TERRESTRIAL GLOBE EXHIBITING The Tracks and Discoveries made by CAPTAIN COOK; Also those of CAPTAIN VANCOUVER on the NORTH WEST COAST OF AMERICA; and M. DE LAPEROUSE on the COAST of TARTARY, TOGETHER With every other improvement collected from Various Navigators to the present time. LONDON: Made & Sold by J & W Cary, Strand, March 1st 1815, WITH ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS TO 1819“, each globe mounted within a brass meridian, fitted within a paper horizon ring, on a mahogany stand with three tapering reeded legs joined by a stretcher centred with compass and on brass cappings and castors
Footnote: The celebrated Cary family of cartographers and globe makers produced some of the greatest late Georgian globes. The firm was started in London in the late 18th century by John Cary (c1754-1835), an engraver and dealer in maps who often worked in partnership with his brother, William Cary (c1760-1825), a scientific instrument maker. John Cary concentrated on geographical excellence rather than on decoration. In about 1820 the Cary brothers moved their business to 86 St. James’s Street, leaving the premises at 181 Strand to John Cary’s sons George (c1788-1859) and John Jr. (1791-1852) who traded as G. & J. Cary until about 1850.