The Naval Construction and Armaments Co of Barrow-in-Furness were shipbuilders. The yard was started in 1867 and the first ship was launched 1873
In 1881 the shipyard launched the SS City of Rome for the Inman line, at the time this was the largest ship in the world , except for the Great Eastern.
In 1886 the shipyard was responsible for the construction of the pioneer submarine Nordenfelt.
1888 The new Naval Construction and Armaments Co had entered agreements with Nordenfelt Co for the supply of machine guns; they would also make use of Nordenfelt’s arrangements in other countries to obtain orders for fully armed ships; also acquired Mr T Nordenfelt’s patents in Great Britain for submarine torpedo boats, two of which had already been built at Barrow.
1888 The Barrow Shipbuilding Co was taken over by the Naval Construction and Armaments Co, which began the manufacture of naval armaments. The yard was responsible for the construction of over 100 vessels. Including the construction of HMS Latona which was an Armoured Cruiser.
Vickers, Sons and Co purchased the Naval Construction and Armaments Co of Barrow-in-Furness in 1897 which then became the famous company of Name of the company Vickers, Sons and Maxim.