The attractive burr walnut-veneered oak case is of classic design for the period and has a warm patina. The formerly rising hood has a shallow caddy, lovely blind fretwork in the frieze, is flanked by plain brass capped columns and has glazed movement viewing windows to the sides. It is surmounted by three giltwood ball finials. The case has a long trunk door framed by D-mouldings and a rectangular base resting on bun feet. There is an oval lenticle with moulded surround to the trunk door.
The weight-driven eight-day four-pillar movement has going and striking trains. The going train has anchor escapement with a royal pendulum whilst the striking train is regulated by an internal count wheel and sounds the hours on a bell. The 11-inch brass dial has a silvered chapter ring, seconds ring and date aperture in the matted centre and is embellished in the corners by elaborately pierced cherub-head spandrels. It is signed along the bottom John Martin Londini. The time is indicated by a fine pair of blued-steel hands, the hour hand richly pierced.
The maker – John Martin (1659-1709) was apprenticed to well-known maker Joseph Norris, but was transferred to his elder brother Edward not long after, probably because Joseph emigrated to The Netherlands around this time, where he is said to have introduced the longcase clock. In 1681 John Martin is recorded to have been established in Whitegate Alley between Bishopsgate Street and Spitalfield. He took quite a number of apprentices during his career as a clockmaker, the most famous one Edward Brookes. Bracket, longcase and lantern clocks, as well as watches are known by his hand.