John Marshman Hill (c.1792/4-1865) and his wife Mary lived in Kingsmead St, Bath. The business of J.M. Hill of Bath seems to have originated in the 18th century with that of the carver and gilder, John Deare. Following his death in 1794, Deare was succeeded by his son James. In 1833 John Marshman Hill advertised from his looking-glass warehouse at 9 Kingsmead St as J.M. Hill, late Deare & Hill, carver, gilder, glass and picture frame manufacturer, offering glasses of large dimensions at London terms. By 1841 Hill was trading from 4 Wood St, previously the premises of J. Harrison, carver and gilder (who also offered a picture cleaning service). By 1850, the business was also listed as picture dealers and in 1864 as gilders and picture restorers. Hill’s impressed stamp, reading HILL/ LINER/ BATH, can be found on the stretcher of Thomas Gainsborough’s John Palmer.
A highly evocative yet still eminently useable mirror that conjures all the glories of high Victoriana and a very high-quality frame indeed.