This is a beautiful antique late Victorian mahogany extending dining table by the renowned Victorian cabinet makers, Edwards and Roberts, and circa 1880 in date.
This amazing table can seat sixteen people in comfort and has been hand-crafted from beautiful solid flame mahogany. The runners are stamped Edwards & Roberts and the table bears an ivorine plaque that states
Edwards & Roberts
148-160 Wardour Street
The beautiful flame mahogany top is oval shaped and has six leaves which can be added or removed as required to suit the occasion by a special winding mechanism. The leaves can be easily removed and stored away when not required.
The table is raised on five hand carved turned and reeded tapering legs that terminate in their original brass and porcelain cup castors.
The chairs shown in the photographs are not included in the price but are available if required, we have various sets of chairs in stock that would suit this table.
This stunning dining table will stand out in your dining or conference room and will definitely become a key piece in your furnishing collection.
In really excellent condition having been beautifully cleaned, polished and waxed in our workshops, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 75 x Width 456 x Depth 153 – Fully Extended
Height 75 x Width 152 x Depth 153 – With all leaves removed
Dimensions in inches:
Height 2 foot, 5 inches x Width 14 foot, 11 inches x Depth 5 foot – Fully Extended
Height 2 foot, 5 inches x Width 5 feet x Depth 5 foot – With all leaves removed
Edwards & Roberts
The firm Edwards & Roberts was one of the best English antique furniture cabinet makers of the second half of the eighteenth century. The company was founded in 1845 and by 1854 was trading as ‘Edwards & Roberts’, 21 Wardour Street, Antique and Modern Cabinet Makers and Importers of Ancient Furniture’. By 1892 they occupied more than a dozen buildings in Wardour Street, where they continued to trade until the end of the century.
They became one of the leading London cabinet makers and retailers producing high quality furniture and working in a variety of styles, both modern and revivalist. Their business also involved retailing, adapting and restoring the finest antique furniture and there are many examples of their earlier furniture with later embellishments bearing their stamp. The quality of timber used was always the best quality with fine burr walnuts as they specialised in marquetry, inlay and ormolu.
Thomas Sheraton – 18th century furniture designer, once characterized mahogany as “best suited to furniture where strength is demanded as well as a wood that works up easily, has a beautiful figure and polishes so well that it is an ornament to any room in which it may be placed.” Matching his words to his work, Sheraton designed much mahogany furniture. The qualities that impressed Sheraton are particularly evident in a distinctive pattern of wood called “flame mahogany.”
The flame figure in the wood is revealed by slicing through the face of the branch at the point where it joins another element of the tree.
Winding Mechanism for extending tables
A man by the name of Samuel Hawkins applied for a patent on a screw expander on June 6th, 1861. Presumably, Mr. Hawkins either died or retired because his business was taken over by a young machinist named Joseph Fitter in 1864.
Joseph Fitter operated a machinist shop where he produced winding mechanisms for extending tables as well as screw expanders for piano stools and other applications at 210 Cheapside, Birmingham England by the name of Britannia Works.
Our reference: A3331