This is a lovely antique French ormolu, gilt bronze, mantel clock with Bleu Celeste Sevres porcelain panels, by the renowned maker, Raingo Freres, Paris, circa 1850 in date.
The clock features a beautifully cast pair of ormolu cherubs surmounted with game, to include fish, boar and pheasant, above a circular enamel dial with Arabic and Roman numerals. The dial is flanked by porcelain panels with gilt highlights, depicting playful cherubs.
The clock has an 8 day striking movement and is complete with pendulum, bell and key.
This incredible clock is a must have for any collector of ornamental and decorative pieces.
The clock is in really excellent working condition the movement having been cleaned and serviced by our horologist, and the ormolu case having been polished, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 32 x Width 47 x Depth 13
Dimensions in inches:
Height 1 foot, 1 inch x Width 1 foot, 6 inches x Depth 5 inches
The origins of the company Raingo Frères lie with Zacharie Joseph Raingo (1775 – 1847), a clockmaker, who was born in Belgium in 1775. Zacharie Joseph Raingo specialised in creating astronomical clocks. One of these creations, a planetary pendulum clock made in 1824, was purchased by King George IV of England and is now housed in Windsor Castle.
Zacharie Joseph Raingo had four sons, Adolphe, Charles, Denis and Dorsant and together they formed Raingo Frères in 1823. The firm initially specialised in producing Empire and Restauration style clocks, manufacturing mantel clocks, table clocks, and wall mounted clocks.
By the mid-19th Century, Raingo Frères had expanded the range of their output into other bronzes and furnishings. In the 1860s, the firm supplied several clocks and bronzes to Emperor Napoleon III and his wife Empress Eugenie, which now form part of the collection at the Musée du Louvre.
Such commissions enhanced the reputation of Raingo Frères, which became internationally recognised for the very fine quality of their bronzes and gilding. The firm exhibited at the most important Exhibitions of the second half of the 19th century, winning a gold award at the 1889 Exposition Universelle in Paris.
Our reference: A1542